B&B Terrazza dei Sogni - Ragusa Ibla

Visit Ragusa Superiore

Visit Ragusa Superiore


RAGUSA SUPERIORE

Chiesa San Giovanni Battista: before the terrible earthquake of the 1693, San Giovanni Battista’s church was located in the west part of the old city. Hardly damaged by the seism, the church was rebuilt in the city centre of the upper part of Ragusa. The structure was completed in just four months. However, few years later, thanks to development of the “new Ragusa”, the church was expanded by the work of Giuseppe  Recupero and Giovanni Arcidiacono both from Acireale.
The prospect is majestic, enriched with carvings and sculptures. Wide decorated columns divide it in five parts where there are also three big gates. On the left side of the cathedral stands the bell tower, 50m tall.
The inside has the shape of a latin cross and present three naves supported by many columns. The vaults of the naves, today are decorated with a rococo style by the brothers Giuseppe and Gioacchino Gianforma from Palermo.
On the intersection between the transept and the central nave, is erected the dame, built only in the 1783.
 
Archeological museum: divided in 5 different parts:
Section 1 prehistoric stations
Section 2 Greek in the province of Camarina
Section 3 Ancient Sicilian. Monte Casasia, Licodia Eubea, Castiglione e Hybla.
Section 4 Hellenic centre. Scornavacche
Section 5 Roman establishment. Kaukana

The briges: one of the characteristic of Ragusa is that has been built on three separate hills divided from two deep valley: Vallata Santa Dominica and Vallata San Leonardo. From the city centre of upper Ragusa, looking toward Vallata Santa Dominica, is possible to admire the three different briges that cross the city, connecting Ragusa of the 18th century with the one of the 20th. The bridge in the middle, called ponte vecchio (old bridge), was built in 1835 due to the interest of Father Occhipinti Scopetta. By now is open only to the pedestrian traffic.
Ponte nuovo (new bridge), is the extension of Via Roma(1937), which is one o the main street of the city. The third bridge “the newest” called San Vito, is located lower than the others (1964).
 
Around Ragusa Superiore

Starting from Piazza San Giovanni, just beside, at Corso Italia there is Collegio di Maria: built in 1796. Inside, are preserved paintings by Tommaso Pollaci. Walking down Corso Italia, is pleanty of baroque buildings from the 1700, like Palazzo Lupis: which stands out for his gorgeous decorated “mensoloni”. At Piazza Matteotti, on the right side there is the Town Hall constructed in 1880 and expanded in 1929. On the left side the central post. Turning to San Vito bride crossing Corso Vittorio Veneto, there is Palazzo Zacco: remarkable for his magnificent “mensoloni” adorned in a perfect baroque style. Going back to Corso Italia, direction Ibla we find Palazzo Bertini: decorated one more time in a baroque style. Astonishing are the three masks situated on the vault of the window. They represent people of ordinary life of that time: a mendicant, a merchant and noble. This building is often used for film set.
From here, Corso Italia becomes Via XXIV Maggio and a spectacular itinerary, thirty minutes long, begins, bringing you to Ragusa Ibla through tunnels, narrow paths and above all steps! Easily is possible to find some breath-taking spots where to take unforgettable pictures of Ragusa Ibla.